A – not exactly United – Kingdom


Island of Ventotene – Roman harbour

There once was a Kingdom strongly United, built on the honours of the people of Wessex, of Mercia, Northumbria and East Anglia who knew how to deal with the invasion of the Vikings from the east and of Normans from the south, to come to unify the territory under an umbrella of common intents. Today, however, 48% of them, while keeping solid traditions, still know how to look forward to the future, joining horizons and commercial developments along with the rest of Europe. The remaining 52%, however, look back and can not see anything in front of them if not a desire of isolation, breaking the European dream born on the shores of Ventotene island in 1944 by Altiero Spinelli, Ernesto Rossi and Ursula Hirschmann through the “Manifesto for a free and united Europe“. An incurable fracture in the country was born in a referendum on 23 June, in which just over half of the population asked to terminate his marriage to the great European family, bringing the UK back by 43 years of history.

<Read More…[by Fabio Marzocca]>

This entry was posted in Real life and tagged , , on by .

About Fabio Marzocca

I am an Electronic Engineer and for 20 years I was in the Aviation industry and services, leading private and government companies. In 2005 I co-founded the Italian Ubuntu Community, which I led for 6 years. During that time I was a Gnome Developer and I wrote the application Baobab (aka Disk Usage Analyzer) for GNOME. Linux advocate, Management Consultant, International Business Consultant, scientific lecturer, I held several conferences about Transdisciplinarity, Philosophy of Science and Anthropology. Writer and blogger, I also acted as a Cultural Intermediary for several artists.

3 thoughts on “A – not exactly United – Kingdom

  1. Winfried Maus

    The current EU has not much to do with whatever vision the authors of The Ventotene Manifesto might have had. The EU has turned into a bureaucratic, undemocratic apparatus that does no longer have the best interest of the European peoples at its heart. The EU needs to be reformed, or even better, be replaced by a truly democratic United States of Europe. But in order to get there, a strong signal like the BREXIT was needed as a wake-up call for all involved parties. The British people said no to THIS EU, but I doubt that they said no to Europe in general. The BREXIT is not the end of the world, and it certainly is not the end of Europe or the dream of a united Europe, but it will with absolute certainty trigger change – and hopefully it will be a change for the better.

  2. Fabio Marzocca

    That’s not my point in the post. UK demonstrated to be a dis-United Kingdom. Who leaves EU, leaves it forever. There is no will to make things better. Leaving is not a bold action.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.